Post Conference Materials
- International Focus: Advocacy with The World Health Organization
(WHO) as well as the United Nations (UN) especially related to the
International Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities.
Facilitators include: MindFreedom President, Celia Brown and MindFreedom
Director, David Oaks.
- US Congress/Federal Government Focus: Planning actions to resist
the unfair influence of the psychiatric drug industry on the US
government. Facilitators include: Dominick Riccio, PhD, Executive Director
of the International Center for the Study of Psychiatry and Psychology (ICSPP).
- Choices In Mental Health Focus: Support humane alternatives to
the traditional mental health system. Facilitators include: MindFreedom
board member Janet Foner.
- How The Law Can Help Fight Forced Treatment Focus: Fight the
increased use of force in the mental health system by combining the tools of
the legal system and grassroots activism. Facilitators include:
attorney/survivor Jim Gottstein, Director of the Law Project for Psychiatric
- Public Education and the Media Focus: Relationship between the
media, science and grassroots actions for human rights in mental health.
Facilitators include: Laurie Ahern from Mental Disability Rights
International (MDRI) and Robert Whitaker, author of Mad in America.
- Open Track Focus: Provide an open space for any conference
participants to raise topics, ideas or concerns not covered by other
conference tracks, especially voices from neglected and marginalized
groups. Facilitators include: MindFreedom board member Al Galves.
last modified 5/15/2005